Refreshing rubber with MG Chemicals 408A – Rubber RenueJohn Moot
Seals and gaskets are important components in various applications. In our article Gaskets: important components we have written a lot about different gasket materials.
Our explanations referred mainly to new gaskets.
However, many people know the problem: the window seal or the door seal of the house becomes porous over time. Sealing rubbers of oldtimers become unsightly, one would like to have them supple again.
There are many suggestions, some of them bizarre, on how to get seals back in shape:
- wash in the washing machine with fabric softener
- silicone spray
- boil in castor oil
- deer talc
- rub with soap
- rub with vinegar
- use glycerine
As a manufacturer of seals we can recommend the following product:
408A/408B – Rubber Renue
408A Rubber Renue restores old rubber parts that have hardened and lost their tack and flexibility. It causes the rubber to swell, allowing dirt to escape from its pores. When the solvent dries, the rubber resumes its shape and remains tacky, allowing rollers and plates to retain their grip.
Applications and uses of 408A/408B – Rubber Renue
408A restores tack to plates and rollers, helps remove dirt, ink and sticky residue, and can also restore flexibility to belts, conveyors and seals.
It works by swelling the rubber cells of belts, plates and rollers so that dirt particles and contaminants can be easily wiped away. Once the product has completely evaporated, the rubber cells shrink back to their normal size and the surface is refreshed and ready for use.
Rubber Renue is a mixture of highly volatile solvents. These solvents should not be inhaled or used in an unventilated environment. Clean parts in an outdoor environment or with adequate ventilation that is safely exhausted to the outside.
408A/408B – Rubber Renue achieves best results when used as follows:
- Use gloves and appropriate safety precautions to prevent vapor inhalation.
- Apply a small amount of product to a clean, dry cloth (just enough to dampen the cloth).
- Apply some of the cloth dampened with Rubber Renue to the plate, roller or belt and wipe until the surface is clean
- Allow the area to dry until Rubber Renue has completely evaporated.
- After Rubber Renue has evaporated, store the cloth in a sealed container until it can be washed or disposed of.
- CAUTION: This product uses strong solvents and is intended for use in professional maintenance and repair facilities.
Features and Benefits 408A/408B – Rubber Renue
- Rejuvenates old, dry and hard rubber
- Restores tack, flexibility and elasticity
Summary 408A/408B – Rubber Renue
- Rejuvenates and maintains rubber
- Rubs off oxidation film
- Apply with cloth, brush or swab
- Excellent for use on belts, plates, rollers, rubber parts
- Use with adequate ventilation
The product can be ordered directly from the online store www.muellerbestellung.